Daily updates on climate change and the global economy.

Discussion Board

Notifications
Clear all

True?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@Anonymous 17)
Trusted Member

“Growing numbers of Chinese citizens set their sights on the US – via the deadly Darién Gap“

This article from the Gardian just rings false to me.  A Chinese citizen trying to reach the US would be literally crazy to start in Columbia.  The story is in the Guardian, so that does not improve the credibility for me.

It doesn’t seem reasonable that a person trying to reach Panama from China would fly to Columbia and not Panama.  If they are very poor, would they not book passage on a passenger or even freight ship that would reach Panama City?  The more I think about it the more is sounds like some sort of weird anti-Chinese propaganda.  A pretext to hook the reader in so that some sort of anti-Chinese story could be told.

Of course, I cant read the article because of the Guardian’s paywall.

2 Replies
Admin
(@panopticon)

Lou, if you're discussing a particular article it probably makes sense to post in the comments section at the bottom of the relevant thread rather than in the forum - you'll get more traction there.

The Guardian article is implicitly critical of the CCP and attributes political motives to these Chinese migrants, when in fact an economic motive is probably primary for most of them, at least IMO. But I think it is "true", even if it is slanted.

Re the practicalities of the journey, the article says this, "Migrants usually fly to Istanbul and then on to Ecuador, which is one of the few Latin American countries offering visa-free entry for Chinese nationals. From there, they travel by bus to Colombia, and Necoclí."

Of course, China has millions of internal economic migrants, so the 913 that made the Darien Gap crossing in January barely register. Many more than that come to the UK, where some endure terrible conditions and pretty much work as slaves to pay back the "snakeheads" who get them here in the first place.

It's nearly 20 years ago now but there was a terrible tragedy when 21 illegal Chinese migrants drowned whilst cockling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster

Topic starter
(@Anonymous 17)
Trusted Member

“… if you're discussing a particular article it probably makes sense to post in the comments section …”

OK, will do.  I am sorry if it caused any inconvenience.

Thank you very much for the background, it certainly makes better sense to me now.

Share: