Daily updates on climate change and the global economy.

Discussion Board

Will the economy *f...

Notifications
Clear all

Will the economy *finally* collapse in 2023?

14 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
Rain
 Rain
(@rain)
Eminent Member

Thanks all - Good to see you back JP! 
I guess it would be stormy in the Hebrides Is. winter, even at the best of times?  

Homesteading? Been there, done that. I grew up in the dry western semi-desert 'outback', struggling on a few acres, with a house cow, some goats, chooks, fruit-veg gardens etc, supplemented by midnight hunting kangaroos, and even stealing a sheep or two when needs-must (once a hanging offence! LOL). Grew up being a 'stoic',  just like my poor immigrant parents.  For me it was hard physical work, and chores, chores, chores.. I'd rather do my maths homework. So I did. Graduated high school and went to the big city to Oz's largest University. Wow .. blew me away. Everything was push-a-button, catch-a-train & flip-a-switch 🙂 No more chopping wood for winter Yay!  No more getting hay in for the critters! Ocean beaches, wow!
I read mostly fiction, from childhood on, I would disappear into other worlds of imagination and the little library was my favourite 'hideout'.

Only since retirement I've been more engaged with reality of climate and economy.  Being a life-sciences major in both studies and worklife, the climate sciences I could understand, but am clueless about economic things, so gave myself the project to learn about it, and how it interacts with climate. 

So I love all these references! 
Keep them coming!

Rain
 Rain
(@rain)
Eminent Member

@cassandra

Glad there weren't too hard lockdowns there because it seems most of Australia went nuts with the pandemic in so many ways. 

Yes, Oz was given a hard time in the international press *shrug*.

Understandable, as we are very close, both geographically and economically hard-wired & hog-tied to SE Asia. China/SE Asia is just "over the back fence", so to speak 🙂 Biggest business trading partners, biggest immigrant/travelling population movements etc. I sometimes think if the outbreak had started in Mexico - the USA (at least the southern states), would have gone nuts too. 

However, the whole thing just remains a quagmire of sewerage on the internet, and I long, long ago lost any interest in engaging. 

EMJ
 EMJ
(@emj)

I think the Central Banks and Feds will just keep propping up the system they always do, but obviously eventually $$$ will be useless once the wheels fall of the bus.

1 Reply
Cassandra
Admin
(@cassandra)

@emj Yes, they will keep propping it up as long as they can. But the wheels are getting very wobbly now. The warning signs are flashing all over the place. To use another metaphor, they cannot keep all the plates in the air forever. They have managed to do it since 2008 when it came very close to collapse, but they are between a rock and a hard place now. (Jeez, I wonder how many cliches I can cram in here? LOL)

Page 2 / 2
Share: